- One Throttled Voice ...
- LowLife n. low•lifeˈloʊˌlaɪf(n.)(pl.)-lifes.-lives
- 1. a member of the outerclass comprised of (e.g.) prostitutes, addicts, alcoholics, the mentally ill, beggars, petty criminals, trolls, anarchists, welfare mothers, and uncontrollable wobblers.
- 2. a disreputable or deviant lifestyle
- New Rule …
- Patti Smith’s Lettuce Soup Recipe for Starving Artists | Brain Pickings
- My Ville Marie – Now and Then
- Je Me Souvien
- Hey Dad! Thank Your Buddies For Me, Will Ya
- Homeless man killed in N.S. bus shelter fire
- Frat Boy Cops With Tasers Target Teens Testicles
- Stun News Is Good News, Sometimes – Homeless Vets Get Help In Pilot Project
Follow ᢺᓃᘺᢺᖥᕓᘍᔛ on TwitterMy Tweets
- E. Joseph Cossman"Drive-in banks were established so most of the cars today could see their real owners."
- Ogden Nash"Middle age is when you've met so many people that every new person you meet reminds you of someone else."
- Saint Augustine"O Lord, help me to be pure, but not yet."
- Aaron Copland"The whole problem can be stated quite simply by asking, 'Is there a meaning to music?' My answer would be, 'Yes.' And 'Can you state in so many words what the meaning is?' My answer to that would be, 'No.'"
- E. Joseph Cossman
- Poll: Three-Quarters of U.S. Northwest Now Favors GMO Labeling Law July 24, 2014Despite propaganda from Big Ag, biotech and the Grocery Manufacturers Association, surveys show vast majority of residents in Washington, Oregon and Idaho want to know what's in their food.noah
- Occupy Hit Job: Why Is The New York Times Smearing Cecily McMillan? July 24, 2014When a journalist in a news article refers to a woman as “strident,” you know what you’re reading is a hit piece – and that's what the New York Times produced about Occupy Wall Street activist McMillan.noah
- Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block July 24, 2014A new kind of tracking tool, canvas fingerprinting, is being used to follow visitors to thousands of top websites, from WhiteHouse.gov to YouPorn.noah
- As Inequality Soars With Bloated Executive Pay, U.K. Group Demands "Radical Action" July 24, 2014Reporting that CEOs in the U.K. earn 162 times more than the average worker, the High Pay Centre calls on government to put immediate caps on executive salaries.noah
- Poll: Three-Quarters of U.S. Northwest Now Favors GMO Labeling Law July 24, 2014
- 'I am a Jew. Stop Killing Babies in Gaza.' July 24, 2014Shortly after Israel began its bombing campaign of Gaza, a fellow Jew emailed me a photo of a guy holding a large sign that read: "I am a Jew. Stop Killing Babies in Gaza." The subject line in my friend's email stated, "the photo says it all." That photo has been burning a hole in my inbox ever since. I feel helpless in the face of […]the views expressed
- Not Rex: Immoral equivalency and the attack on Gaza July 24, 2014Is this show currently playing? July 24, 2014 Western leaders are defending Netanyahu's attack on Gazan civilians, while condemning Putin. Anyone see a disconnect? YouTube screen_shot_2014-07-24_at_11.13.54_am.png Putin is condemned for supplying the missiles that shot down Malaysian flight M17. But Gaza is being razed, again, by missiles fired from Ame […]rabble staff
- In Harper's Canada, charities face intimidation while tax evaders go free July 24, 2014Thursday, July 24, 2014 As its website notes, "PEN Canada envisions a world where writers are free to write, readers are free to read and freedom of expression prevails." With goals like those, no wonder the little charity has found itself in the crosshairs of the Harper government. Earlier this week, PEN became the latest charity to face a massive […]rabble staff
- Challenging the media information blockade of Gaza July 24, 2014Thursday, July 24, 2014 According to the United Nations, one child has been killed in Gaza every hour for the past two days. Overall, the Israeli military has killed close to 700 Palestinians, the vast majority civilians, since the assault on Gaza began more than two weeks ago. Details of the slaughter make their way into the world's media, with horrifi […]rabble staff
- 'I am a Jew. Stop Killing Babies in Gaza.' July 24, 2014
- Addictions Bigotry Brickbats & Bouquets Cop Watch Crime Daily Life Death Education Family Free Expression Gov't Policy Health & Welfare Homeless Human Rights Humour Justice Literature Mental Health Music News Photos Police Portraits Prisons Protest Public Awareness Suicide Surveilance Technology Uncategorized Videos Violence Women Youth
Patti Smith, who was practically homeless for years before becoming a successful artist and then a cultural icon, reads her lettuce soup recipe for starving artists
“We hadn’t much money, but we were happy.”
Reconstructionist Patti Smith is among the most extraordinary and influential artists of the past century, her achievements consistently demolishing the artificial wall between “high” and “low” culture by spanning from Billboard Chart hits to poetry inspired by Rimbaud and Blake, from CBGB to London’s Trolley Gallery, from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to the National Book Award.
When I was a boy growing up in Beaconsfield, the West Island of Montreal was considered the bastion of privilege, the affluent enclave of the anglo, les maîtres chez nous! How things change …
Of course it’s not merely the children and grand-children of formerly comfortable Montreal suburbanites who have suffered in Montreal’s decline at the hands of global economics and parochial ideologies. It’s almost everyone who steps foot on the once-magical island.
(Remembrance Day XCIV, 2013)
My father joined the Navy in ’43, at the age of 17. His part in the war was as a torpedo-man on a Canadian Corvette, the HMCS Midland, a convoy escort ship on the Atlantic “triangle run” between Boston, New York, Halifax, and St. John’s. (Oddly, Corvette’s don’t carry torpedoes. They carry depth charges. Tomayto, tomahto). The corvette was a U-boat chaser and the Midland saw “action” several times (I’m sure it always saw action, just not necessarily violent action) and got one “probable kill” of a U-boat not far off the coast of Newfoundland. They got called in for a refit after that and the HMCS Shawinigan took it’s place on next convoy. On that run, the Shawinigan was torpedoed by Nazi U-Boat 1228 and sank with all hands lost. 85 men died but only six bodies were recovered. My father knew many of those aboard. There’s a right place, a wrong place, a right time, and a wrong one.
(I offer this without comment in its entirety – Drak)
Published Saturday, October 26, 2013 11:18AM EDT
Last Updated Saturday, October 26, 2013 9:32PM EDT
A vigil was held Saturday evening for a homeless man who was killed in a fire inside a Nova Scotia bus shelter, an incident that remains the subject of an RCMP investigation.
Too many cops are like huge, strong, and dangerous 15 year olds … with many weapons and few consequences. The 1% like ‘em that way. Intelligent, thoughful cops might just figure out whose side they’re really on.
The Ottawa cops that beat a barely conscious, homeless alcoholic (a man I knew) nearly to death and then harassed and intimidated the one, young witness willing to testify in court … yes, as predicted, they got off. No consequences. At what point do the middle class take notice? Police violence is becoming epidemic as our municipal forces begin to go paramilitary.
Teen says cop violated his civil rights by shooting Taser at his testicles
A black teenager says a police officer violated his civil rights during an altercation at a train station.
Andre Little sued the city of Richmond, California, after Officer Kristopher Tong pointed a Taser at his groin and fired the stun gun at his scrotum.
Read the rest in The Raw Story